Tuesday, July 19, 2011

First harvest!

We had our first harvest tonight! I never thinned the spinach, so I finally did that tonight while also harvesting leaves from the plants that i left to grow. Harvest is one of my absolute favorite parts of gardening. I feel such a sense of accomplishment because even though the soil, seed, water, and sunlight really did all of the work, I had an integral role to play and it honestly makes me feel so confident. There's something about being able to grow your own food that just makes you feel like you are capable, like a pioneer surviving on the frontier.

As I've mentioned before, only one of the spinach varieties germinated, but we still got a good crop. We brought in two giant bowls full. The spinach was delicious and soon, I'll tell you how we preserved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment