Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fifth planting

I planted two varieties of squash for the fifth planting, when the soil temperatures reached 65 degrees. This is my first time growing squash! Evidently the most difficult part is germination - not only is the soil temperature especially important for squash, but you want to plant them when there will not be rain before they germinate. I'm not sure if this is only because the water would lower the soil temperature or if exposure to liquid causes problems (either prevents them from germinating, or perhaps the embryonic plant is especially susceptible to diseases when it is wet).

Luckily I didn't have to wait too long before conditions were right. I planted three hills of winter squash, a french heirloom from territorial called "galeux d'eysines." I chose this because it was an heirloom and I liked the name. Then I planted one hill of a zucchini called emerald delight (also from territorial). I wanted romulus pm, but that was no longer available and this was the sub they suggested. I ordered my seeds on February 1st, and there were a few varieties that I wanted that were no longer available. I will have to be quicker next year! I have tried a few different types of zucchinis and I think they are all equally delicious, so I chose an open-pollinated variety that looked the most resistant to insects and diseases.

Last year, at a farmer's market in Kansas City I wanted to buy some zucchini from a farmer. When I asked him about his growing practices, he was irritated when he said "you mean, do I spray them? of course I do. it is not possible to grow organic zucchini here." Of course, I know farmers in Kansas City who would disagree with him. Sometimes organic methods are more difficult but I think it is worth the effort to not poison the earth.

Anyway, germination was excellent and it was really hard to thin down the seedlings because they all looked so strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment