Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Beans continued

Here are photos of the baby beans, as promised. The first photo is of the dry soup beans, and the second photo is of the green beans.





We ended up putting bird netting around the green beans because I kept seeing crows hanging out in that bed, and when I would run out there it looked like they were pulling plants out just for fun. Jerks. Turns out that if they were the culprits, they were probably just looking for worms. It seems that they moved on to the carrot bed instead.

Anyway, I wanted to use this post also to talk about one of the problems I've encountered with the beans. Not all of the seed packets make it clear whether that variety is a bush type or a pole (vining) type! I wanted to plant the pole types together, of course, so that it will be easier to build the trellising. It has been a few weeks since these photos were taken, and it is clear we planted one bush type in with the pole beans. That is not the end of the world, but it also looks like one of the ones we thought was a bush type is actually a pole type. This would be tricky to cope with. It isn't certain so we're going to wait and see, but it's a frustration that could have been avoided if seed companies labelled their packages more carefully. In the future, I will take this into account when purchasing my bean seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment