Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Garden in Pictures, 10/16/10

Here is the space with cardboard mostly used in the areas where I want walking paths. Theoretically I suppose you could leave the grass in the areas where you expect to be standing/squatting while you work in the garden, but I decided to kill it off. In my last garden, the grass and weeds from my walking path grew phenomenally, and because we couldn't get the lawn mower into my little garden area (fenced off to keep the dog out), I had to manually pull it out or risk the unwanted guests a) itching my legs and arms as I weeded or b) spreading into the garden, and competing with my precious little food-producing plants. It seemed like a waste of time so I'm going to avoid that problem this year.

I wanted the paths to be three feet wide originally, a generous amount of space with plenty of room to kneel down without getting attacked by the plants once they get tall in mid-summer. As I realized how large the garden area was getting to be, I cut the walking paths back to 2 feet. I'll let you know how comfortable that is as the growing season passes.

Anyway, I have also placed some cardboard in areas where I will be growing vegetables so that I can compare the newspaper to the cardboard, in terms of its effectiveness in this supposedly easy lasagna method. Right now it seems like a late night infomercial, promising to change my life for the low-low price of three easy installments of 19.95 plus shipping. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Have any suggestions for my garden? See any red flags? How do you plan your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment