Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Beginning the 2011 season

It is clear from the slowly dwindling stock at the farmer's market that the growing season is winding down. This must mean it is time to start preparations for next year's garden.

We are converting a 50' x 40' section of lawn into a vegetable garden, using the lasagna method - layering cardboard, newspaper, and compost so that over the winter the grass will die and decompose, providing excellent nutrition for the soil. Last year my 4' x 10' plot took me two days to prepare in the spring - it didn't help that I was using hand tools and had no clue what I was doing:) I'm hoping this will be easier on my back and less time-consuming.

Our hope is that the garden will provide enough vegetables to feed us throughout the winter. Our summer diet will be providing by a local CSA. I am a novice gardener; in my small plot last year I grew spinach, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and broccoli. The spinach was the only delicious success; the peppers did not grow, the broccoli was not edible, and I (as an example of how much of a novice I am) did not stake up the tomatoes. After the first couple of delicious beauties, they all rotted on the ground before they were ripe enough to pick.

Because I have primarily relied on the internet for advice on gardening, I thought I should document the journey in hopes that whatever I learn might help someone else. I'll mostly focus on my experience in my garden, but will also share successful recipes and the occasional discussion of food politics in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment