Wednesday, November 3, 2010

beets

I never liked beets until I had to figure out a way to use them through our CSA last year. Turns out I'd only ever eaten them boiled, which gives them a weird texture and a sweet/earthy flavor that I didn't like. We tried roasting them, and they are PHENOMENAL prepared that way.

The basic recipe for roasted beets is to cube them - you don't have to peel them first - then toss them with oil, salt, pepper, and any herbs you think would be good. Put them in a shallow pan - you pretty much want them in a single layer - and put them in the oven at 425 degrees. Mix them occasionally while in the oven, and when a fork easily pierces the beets they are ready (usually takes about 20-30 minutes). You can mix other root vegetables with them. We tried potatoes, turnips, and carrots. They each ended up with a slightly different texture, which is not my preference, so we usually do just beets or just potatoes when we roast vegetables.

Another way that I like them is raw and shredded. We just use a cheese grater, and they shred very easily. Since they are typically in season the same time as carrots, I like a mixture of shredded carrots and beets used on salads or in macaroni and cheese. We also use shredded carrots and beets as a replacement for lettuce garnish - for example, on top of tostadas or burgers. Beets when raw are extremely crunchy, almost too hard to eat. Shredding them is the best way to eat them raw, in my opinion!

My spouse like them raw and cubed in macaroni and cheese - they are mild in flavor but as I said, too crunchy for my liking. Last night we put turnips, green peppers, beets, and zucchini in macaroni and cheese. The spiciness of the turnips and peppers with the sweetness of the beets was a great combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment