Tuesday, August 2, 2011

potato harvest, part I

We harvested the rest of the cranberry red potatoes, leaving one plant to see if the potatoes get bigger in a week.


We pushed the flat fork that we use for compost down several inches away from the base of the plant, then lifted up. We erred on the side of too far away while we figured out just what the potatoes would like when harvested, which I recommend. The soil was really easy to work with, probably because we worked it so much before we planted potatoes.


Like many vegetables, the roots extended about as far as the leaves did.

we found 2 or 3 rotten potatoes, but there weren't any widespread problems

I weighed our harvest using our bathroom scale, and it said we got 10 lbs, but it's probably a little less because the bathroom scale is not that precise.I'm basically happy with that yield. There were several tiny potatoes (about the size of a dime) that weren't even worth collecting, which is why I left one plant to grow for another week. I wonder if we didn't jump the gun on the harvest or if there will always be small potatoes.

We planted one lb of seed potatoes, and according to the seeds company you can expect about 10 lbs of harvest for each lb. At 5.50/lb (plus shipping) for seed potatoes, these come out to about 50 cents/lb for edible potatoes. I think most vegetables are much more money-saving - we paid about $2 for a packet of spinach seed, used less than half, and got about 4 lbs worth. 25 cents for a pound of organic spinach is absolutely incredible!

cranberry red potato harvest 7/19

The main benefit that I can see now of growing your own potatoes is the variety you can get. Most of the farmers at our local market sell pretty standard potatoes. Growing your own, you get to choose your favoriate varieties and even try new ones. And it does save money if you only think about the seed - I think market potatoes usually cost 3 or 4 dollars per pound. But when you factor in the cost of materials, not to mention the labor, I doubt it saves money. Still, it's fun!

Now, since I made a critical error and bought early potatoes which do not store well, we have to decide what we will do with our bounty. I want to share them with our neighbors, who have been so extraordinarily kind, generous, and welcoming to us. My spouse wants to can them. We will probably do some of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment