Tuesday, August 9, 2011

first green bean harvest

Here are the green beans we harvested. The top photo shows the cannellini lingots - a pretty small harvest. Later I was looking at my records from when I ordered seeds, and it turns out I intended these for dry soup beans, not for canning green beans. That's okay, they can be used for both.


The next photo shows the harvest from the kentucky wonders. Seems like so much!


We picked beans that were long, and rounded - particularly where we could see the actual beans inside the pod. I'll let you know how they taste once we start opening up the cans, but one of my sources said that when the beans are bulging out (as the bottom bean is in the photo below) they are actually a little overripe, and they won't taste as tender as the flatter beans (the top bean) will.


There were quite a few that were ready! We will can tonight.

I want to separate out the kentucky wonder and the blue lake, so that I know if one of them has a better flavor or holds up better in canning. But the way the beans grew, it is hard to tell which is which. I'm trying to do at least one can that it all one edge of the bed so that I can be pretty sure they are kentucky wonder, and at least one can that is all the other edge of the bed so I can be pretty sure they are blue lake. My spouse picked these beans and he thinks we really didn't get any blue lakes, only the kentucky wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment