Wednesday, August 10, 2011

canning potatoes


We canned potatoes tonight. I gave about a half pound to one neighbor and set aside another two pounds to give to other neighbors, and we were worried we wouldn't be able to fill the 10 jars that our canner can hold. But we had more than enough! I will make a rough guess that each pint jar can hold about a half pound of potatoes, because I estimate we made it through 2/3 of the potatoes before we ran out of jars. The entire canning process takes a couple of hours, and we didn't want to do another round tonight. It takes longer than you might think, because we had to wait for water to boil at a few different points.

I soaked the potatoes in water for a minute or two before scrubbing them, to help loosen the dirt.


The methods are well-established and simple to follow, as long as you can handle precision. We have the directions that came with the canner and two books, and the instructions were basically the same. I definitely recommend reading the instructions thoroughly before you begin so that you are prepared for the next steps - for example, there are several points where you need to have boiling water ready. Next time I think I will make a step by step outline for ourselves that indicates when we need to put water on to boil, and how much. It's easier than going to the book every two minutes to double check and to look ahead to the next steps to make sure you're ready.

The only other thing I would do differently is get more heavy-duty potholders. When we poured boiling water on top of the canning jars in the canner, we both burned ourselves a little.


I've never eaten canned potatoes before, other than sweet potatoes, so I'm not sure how we will use all ten jars (plus we will probably can as many jars of the german butterballs). I'm getting excited for the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment